Live

LIVE: The EURO 2020 Show

11:00 AM-12:00 PM

LIVE: The EURO 2020 Show
Newcastle sale imminent as Mik...
Soccer

Newcastle sale imminent as Mike Ashley agrees £300m Saudi deal

Mike Ashley appears to be finally on the verge of selling Newcastle United.

The financier Amanda Staveley is fronting a bid from PCP Capital Partners, which includes investment from Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund.

Ashley bought Newcastle for £133million in 2007 but the Sports Direct owner has been an unpopular figure on Tyneside almost since day-1.

It’s believed a sale to PCP would come at a price of £300million (€345million)

A 31-page charge agreement lodged with Companies House in London was made public on Monday and it sets the table for a deal to be completed.

Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PiF) are believed to be funding 80 per cent of the deal, with the remaining 20 per cent split between Staveley and the wealthy Reuben Brothers group.

It's not the first time Staveley has come close to leading a takeover of Newcastle.

Near the end of 2017, Ashley communicated that, "Attempts to reach a deal with Amanda Staveley and PCP have proved exhausting, frustrating and a complete waste of time" after talks failed to produce a sale.

When the parties previously came close to a deal, it was believed the asking price for the club was £340million, but circumstance and the promise of a cash deal have seen Ashley willing to lower his valuation.

Neither Ashley, Staveley, nor Newcastle United themselves were commenting on the potential deal on Tuesday night but it's believed confirmation was imminent.

The deal has been forwarded to the Premier League to be assessed under its owners and directors test. It may be several weeks before the deal can be approved.

The Saudi PiF is under the direction of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Saudi ownership will open Newcastle up to claims of 'sportswashing'.

In 2019, bin Salman told CBS' 60 Minutes that he did not order the brutal death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, but did accept "full responsibility" for what he called a "heinous crime".

On October 2 of 2018 Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul where he was greeted by a 15-man hit squad who proceeded to murder and dismember him.

"When a crime is committed against a Saudi citizen by officials working for the Saudi government, as a leader I must take responsibility", bin Salman said a year later.

"This was a mistake, and I must take all actions to avoid such a thing in the future".

Speaking of a potential deal between Ashley and PIF in January, Amnesty International said, "Under the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, there’s been a sweeping human rights crackdown

"There’s been a blatant whitewash over Jamal Khashoggi’s grisly murder, there are continuing concerns over Saudi hacking, and the Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen has a bloody record of launching indiscriminate attacks on homes and hospitals."

Download the brand new OTB Sports App in the Play Store & App Store right now! We've got you covered!

Subscribe to Off The Ball's YouTube channel for more videos, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest sporting news and content.


Read more about

Amanda Staveley Jamal Khashoggi Mike Ashley Mohammed Bin Salman Newcastle United Premier League Saudi Arabia

Live: Title

Description

Added to queue
Removed from queue

On Air

Share

Share

Next up in queue

Title
Description
Duration

There are currently no podcasts in the queue

Go to podcasts

On Air

LIVE: The EURO 2020 Show

LIVE: The EURO 2020 Show

11:00 AM-12:00 PM

Share

Up next

Highlights on Off The Ball

Highlights on Off The Ball

12:00 PM-01:00 PM

Share

OTB Gold

OTB Gold

01:00 PM-02:00 PM

Share

Highlights on Off The Ball

Highlights on Off The Ball

02:00 PM-03:00 PM

Share

LIVE: Friday Night Racing

LIVE: Friday Night Racing

03:00 PM-04:00 PM

Share

Team 33 Gold

Team 33 Gold

04:00 PM-05:00 PM

Share

Highlights on Off The Ball

Highlights on Off The Ball

05:00 PM-06:00 PM

Share

OTB Gold

OTB Gold

06:00 PM-07:00 PM

Share

LIVE: Off The Ball

LIVE: Off The Ball

07:00 PM-08:00 PM

Share

Repeat: Friday Night Racing

Repeat: Friday Night Racing

08:00 PM-09:00 PM

Share

Team 33

Team 33

09:00 PM-10:00 PM

Share

Repeat: Off The Ball

Repeat: Off The Ball

10:00 PM-12:00 AM

Share

Repeat: OTB AM

Repeat: OTB AM

12:00 AM-02:00 AM

Share

Repeat: Off The Ball

Repeat: Off The Ball

02:00 AM-05:00 AM

Share

Repeat: OTB AM

Repeat: OTB AM

05:00 AM-07:00 AM

Share

Highlights on Off The Ball

Highlights on Off The Ball

07:00 AM-01:00 PM

Share

00:00:00 / 00:00:00

Share on