Former Open Champion John Daly has withdrawn from this year's tournament at Royal Portrush, in a week the R&A turned down a request for him to use a cart and he was hospitalised with a spider bite.
He has been replaced in the field for the 148th staging of the event by American Kevin Streelman. The 40-year-old's best showing at the competition was in 2014 at Royal Liverpool when he finished in a tie for 54th place.
John Daly won the Open Championship in 1995 at St. Andrews, aged 29. He claimed victory in a play-off against Italian Costantino Rocca.
In a post on Facebook on Sunday, Daly said he got bitten in England last week without knowing. When he returned to the United States he was taken into hospital was immediately brought for surgery.
It came a few days after he took to the social media platform and voiced his frustration at the R&A for denying his request for use a cart during the Open Championship. In the post on Saturday, the 53-year-old said: "Just got word the R&A turned down my application to use a cart at the 2019 Open Championship. Quite disappointed they do not see it the same way out PGA of America and PGA Tour sees it. Different continents, different laws?
"As a proud Open Champion I know what the Open Championship represents and what a special tournament it is. I believe all who have earned the right to compete should be afforded that right to compete and give it their best shot. While I trust the R&A's decision was made with good intentions, I could not disagree more with their conclusions.
The two-time major winner added that he was still planning to take part at Royal Portrush, saying "fingers crossed can make it through the pain."
The 2019 Open Championship begins at the County Antrim golf club on July 18th. Italian Francesco Molinari is defending his first major title after winning by two shots at Carnoustie last year.