A Gaelic Players Association (GPA) survey is asking inter-county players if they want the Allianz National Hurling and Football Leagues and Championship to go ahead as planned.
The Irish Examiner is reporting today that the representative body is posing the question directly to the players in a survey, with the results expected tomorrow.
It comes as the country comes to grips with a tightening of Level 3 coronavirus restrictions nationwide, while Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal will be moved to Level 4 from midnight tonight.
— John Fogarty (@JohnFogartyIrl) October 15, 2020
Peter Keane's Kerry are set to undertake the four-and-a-half hour trip to Inniskeen in cars for their Division One encounter with Monaghan at two o'clock on Saturday afternoon.
The GPA survey comes amidst outbreaks of Covid-19 cases within inter-county camps, and debate over whether or not the season should be allowed to re-commence.
The questions being asked to the players are as follows:
“In your opinion, is your county board effectively implementing the ‘Covid 19 Inter County return to play protocols" to ensure a safe training/playing environment for you?
If no, indicate what specific changes are required to make your training/playing environment compliant with the Covid protocols;
“Which of the following options reflects your opinion for the upcoming 2020 Season?
I want the season to proceed.
I want to play only if the implementation of the Covid-19 protocols is improved.
I do not want the season to proceed.
“If the Covid-19 situation continues to deteriorate, do you support the NEC (GPA's National Executive Committee) making a decision on the players’ behalf about the continuation of the season?”
Big debate over the last 24 hours about whether or not we should go ahead with a #GAA championship this year - we're talking about it this morning on #OTBAM
Should we go ahead, even as some counties tick in to Level 4, and what if we go to Level 5?
— Ger Gilroy (@gergilroy) October 15, 2020
A positive case within the Wexford senior hurling panel has led to disruption to their championship preparations, with their Leinster semi-final against Galway currently set for October 31st.
Fermanagh's footballers are also attempting to cope with Covid outbreaks within their camp, with the CCCC last night refuting their attempts to have this weekend's league clash in Clare postponed.