Former Meath footballer Anthony Moyles says Wexford’s inability to field a full team for their last two Littlewoods Camogie National League game is a disaster.
The county were forced to concede a walkover last week. They were unable to field a team for their Division One clash against Cork.
Once again Wexford once manage to put out a full team. The traveled with just 13 players for their game with Galway on Sunday.
The Tribeswomen hit eight goals in the first half before sportingly deciding to withdraw two players to even the numbers.
Wexford have been without a manager since Martin Carey resigned prior to the beginning of the 2019 campaign.
Galway won the game by 45 points on a scoreline of 9-23 to 1-2.
Camogie in crisis as Wexford struggle to make up the numbers
Moyles was on Monday's OTB AM, he said the whole situation reflects badly on the county and camogie as a whole: “It’s a disaster, for a county that would have a lot of pride and a lot of history.
“It’s phenomenal what’s actually happened there consider when you look how the men’s senior team and the resources that are being pumped there.
“It’s a very strange one, obviously something is going to come to light because that is a disgrace, the 13 girls that went down that is soul destroying.”
The sad fall from grace has come as a shock to many GAA fans, Wexford are well regarded for their heritage and success on the field over the last decade.
Their last All Ireland title came in 2012, and at the time it was the third in a row having walked the steps of the Hogan Stand to lift the richest prize in the game in 2010 and 2011.
The county are without half a dozen players from the club St Martin's as they are gearing up for the All-Ireland senior club camogie final against Derry's Slaughtneil on March 3rd.