The International Olympics Committee has called Tokyo 2020 organising president Yoshiro Mori's recent comments about women "inappropriate".
They say the remarks are "in contradiction to the IOC's commitments and the reforms of its Olympic Agenda 2020" but have stopped short of calling for the 83-year-old to step down.
"If we increase the number of female board members, we have to make sure their speaking time is restricted somewhat, they have difficulty finishing, which is annoying," Mori said last week.
"We have about seven women at the organising committee but everyone understands their place."
IOC Statement on gender equality in the Olympic Movement https://t.co/4gHCVoxbUZ
— IOC MEDIA (@iocmedia) February 9, 2021
He's since apologised but over 5,500 complaints have been lodged to the IOC and more than 400 volunteers have left quit in protest against the comments.
"Besides Mr Mori’s apology, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee also considers his comment to be inappropriate and has reaffirmed its commitment to gender equality," the IOC said in a statement.
"As the leader of the Olympic Movement, we are committed to our mission to encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures, as stated in the Olympic Charter."
The Tokyo Games Organising Committee are set to meet later this week to discuss Mori's comments.