Daniel Kinahan is reportedly stepping away and taking a break from professional boxing, according to MTK Global President, Bob Yalen.
The report has been published in The Athletic on Monday morning, with Yalen telling the publication, “Daniel’s going to be taking time away from the sport to focus on other interests and hopefully this will put a stop to the negative press from Ireland that’s based entirely on hearsay,” Yalen stated.
“No court has ever found this man guilty of anything. The man has never been charged or convicted of a crime. The only basis for these allegations is the hearsay testimony of biased parties.''
Yalen continued, “And it’s unfortunate for his fighters that he’s taking this step back. But I respect his personal decision. He wants to do what’s right for the sport, he loves the fighters. But MTK will continue to secure the best, most lucrative deal for its fighters and ensure the biggest fights in the sports are made.
"We have lots of exciting news coming soon.”
On June 10th, Tyson Fury posted a video to his Twitter page where the two-time heavyweight world champion said, ''I'm just after getting off the phone with Daniel Kinahan. He's just informed me that the biggest fight in British boxing history has just been agreed'', in relation to a long-anticipated bout with the heavyweight star, Anthony Joshua.
It’s official FURY VS JOSUAR AGREED FOR NEXT YEAR, I got to smash @bronzebomber first then I’ll annihilate @anthonyfjoshua #WEARESPARTANS
MASSIVE THANKS TO DANIEL KINNERHAN FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN.🙏🏻👍🏻 god bless pic.twitter.com/18FfVKfCax
— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) June 10, 2020
Last week it was reported that Fury had subsequently cut ties with Kinahan, according to a report in the Telegraph.
Earlier this month KHK, the company set up by the King of Bahrain's son, said in a statement it has "discontinued its engagement with Daniel Kinahan and he is no longer an advisor" to the company. The statement was confirmed by the government information service in Bahrain.
Ex-Taoiseach Leo Varadkar had already urged Irish viewers and media to ignore the bouts due to Kinahan's involvement.
Meanwhile, journalist Kieran Cunningham spoke to Off The Ball recently about Kinahan's role in setting up the fight and how he is looking to be a global power broker in the sport. "It is very, very damaging for boxing and it makes us question where boxing is going," said The Irish Star journalist.
Kinahan has never been convicted of a crime in Ireland.