After some uncertainty surrounding Conor McKenna's future in the Australian Football League, Essendon have confirmed that the Tyrone native has returned to action Down Under.
In February, the AFL club confirmed that Conor McKenna had indefinitely returned to Tyrone amid reports that he was suffering from home-sickness. However, via the AFL club's Twitter account, Essendon appear pleased to confirm that their player has now returned.
He's back 😍 pic.twitter.com/KsAydE8sO0
— Essendon FC (@essendonfc) March 5, 2020
When it became apparent that McKenna would be returned to Tyrone last month, questions were raised regarding how well he was acclimatising to life in Australia.
"I still struggle a wee bit with homesickness and stuff like that," he remarked in an interview with the AFL's official website in 2019 after he had returned home for his brother's wedding. "I was very happy to be home for a week."
Although it had been initially expected that the Eglish man would return in time for Essendon's opening Marsh Community Series match against West Coast on February 27, his time away extended a few days beyond this.
In the initial aftermath of his journey home to Tyrone, Essendon's Dan Richardson said the 23-year-old had the club’s full support to return to Ireland.
"We have been in lengthy discussions with Conor over recent weeks and we are completely supportive of him returning home to be with his family at this time," he said. "We remain in constant communication with both Conor and his family and we will continue to provide our support during this period."
According to the club's website, McKenna has been involved in an extended squad for Essendon's upcoming clash with Geelong in Monday’s Powercor Country Festival Marsh Series Game in Colac.
The uncertainty surrounding Conor McKenna's spell in Australia came at a time when his fellow Tyrone native Cathal McShane rejected the overtures of clubs to remain where he was.